Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Bill Hader season 40

   
  First let me start with my thought that season 40 feels like a fire works show. Each episode has been so impressive that I almost hold my breath at the well orchestrated bursts of hilariously thought out genius. For me to even try and pick an episode that I would call my favorite would be hard. I know that I am a very positive person and I will always search for the good in things, but this seems to be the thought across the board on the internet(not counting the couple of Scrooges here and there that will just never be impressed).  If I had to choose though for many reasons, I would choose Bill Hader's episode.
     Let's start off with Kristen Wiig and Bill Hader reunited on SNL again. Any episode with a former cast member hosting usually symbols almost a homecoming of their "graduating class" and Kristen being the person to make the appearance(obviously because of their movie together they were promoting, "Skeleton Twins), was very rewarding.  When these two are together, there is a true comedic chemistry and the only thing to make it any better is when the two are interacting with Fred Armisen(almost a modern day Three Amigos).  It's a very special comedy that occurs as if you are witnessing friends that are allowing you to be in on the fun-especially when they break character and laughter ensues(take this clip from a recurring sketch "The Californians" http://www.hulu.com/watch/350669)  . 
     Another thing that makes this episode so great is that Bill Hader is a real actor. He doesn't do it for the money, but for pure love of film. This is something so rare these days in a world where fame is a thirst that so many can't quench but desperately try to at every turn.  For this reason, I have always found him such a joy to watch. The fame doesn't seem to matter- You don't see him posing for the paparazzi or hitting up every hot sport- his fame is earned because he's talented.  
    Speaking of hot spots- another reason so many of us SNL peeps were excited to see Bill return to SNL as a host is that he was an alum that had developed many classic SNL hit characters, seeing some of them return was such a joy. Including Herb Welch and STEFON! I am not above admitting that on the Season 38 finale when Bill, Fred, and Jason Sudeikis ended their runs as cast members, I was so sad as were many. One of the reasons was because of the Stefon/Seth Meyers wedding. Even though seeing the best wedding guest list in history with all of "New York's Hottest Club's" finest in attendance, with this sketch, you could feel a new leaf turning over as it does every now and then on SNL. This can be a sad thing, but to be honest, if it weren't for these transition years, many of our finest comedians, including Bill Hader himself, would not be here! So, click the link below if you would like to relive one of Season 40's  greatest moments so far: Bill Hader's first time as a Host:

No comments:

Post a Comment