Thursday, November 17, 2016

Hallelujah


Time to be a little real here... I sat Election night with my niece, mom, sister, and nephew and we were all waiting in anticipation as what we were hoping (in our eyes) would've been one of the greatest moments to witness. We live in an area that is swallowed by red on the chart when the votes are being tallied and my hopeful Hillary posts of love and togetherness, my political SNL clips, etc. caused me to get hate mail from lots of people including family(one family member had even told me during this election that a woman should never be president). But, I'm not the person that comes from anger and even when the negative messages were sent to me this year, I didn't lose the positivity, hope, kind thoughts, etc.. So, as I watched the votes roll in and it was heart breaking. I was so invested and later that night after my niece and nephew were asleep and the election came to an end, I was completely still. This had been a hard fought race for so many of us who were invested on both sides and losing that hope that I had felt horrible and processing it was hard.
Which brings us to Saturday's SNL. As the show began and Kate McKinnon as Hillary began to sing "Hallelujah", the feelings that I didn't process all week hit and I began to cry... It felt like everything that so many of us felt. We had been experiencing such a powerful excitement that had been building and felt so possible and yet was halted so instantaneously. Secretary Clinton's hard fight and life of service that I have admired and it just wasn't in the cards. But then the closing words to the cold open reminded me of something so important:  "I'm not giving up and neither should you".  This isn't over. We can still be hopeful, dream big, and know that it's more than just our vote that's the important part of being an American Citizen. It's also, making your voice heard, volunteering to assist in campaigns(I did this year), and being supportive of one another even when we disagree on things like political races.


So, thank you SNL, for helping me (as well as others I'm sure) resolve those feelings and laugh. I really appreciate it.



No comments:

Post a Comment