Friday, February 6, 2015

Gilda Radner

 
As a life long SNL fan, I have seen many SNL cast members over the years. It is safe to say that there isn't anyone that compares to Gilda Radner. Since I wasn't lucky enough to witness the original cast in all their glory, I would watch my Mom's "Best Of" Tapes and that's when I began to think of Gilda Radner not just as a comedian, but as a role model. 
 
She had a rare ability to seem fearless, free, and happy. It's something that I hoped to have considering as a child I was already a little worry wart. Gilda could also perform any sketch that she was in and make it seem like you weren't watching a scripted show. You were watching Gilda do something that seemed as natural to her as breathing, which made it so special- and why wouldn't she? She was the kind of funny that other comedians see and wish they could be.

The great thing is that people all over the world are still realizing her Ivy League level comedic skills. One being my sweet niece, Lo. The 3rd generation SNL fan started watching with me before she could even walk and one day I stuck in a season 1 disc and whenever Gilda did a sketch she would laugh. My niece is even the person who helped me pick out my pen name(when I started writing my first fashion blog) and because she loved Gilda, that was her choice (She chose Red because my hair was Red at the time).

So, this one's for Gilda, a brilliant performer who transcends time and has inspired me as well as thousands of other little girls all around the world.

 
 
If you're new to Gilda or just want to revisit, here's a couple of links for you:
 
Nerd Prom:
https://screen.yahoo.com/gilda-radner-snl-skits/
Roseanne Rosannadanna:
https://screen.yahoo.com/roseanne-rosannadanna-smoking-000000279.html?query=gilda



No comments:

Post a Comment